32 Easy Ways To Get Rid Of A Hickey At Home
A hickey or love bite is a common thing to get during the Winter months. Most of my young readers and teenage clients get them around the holidays.
It's one of the most popular gifts given by young couples to each other during Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving, Diwali, Halloween and Christmas.
A hickey is just a little bruise, a bite of affection given onto the sides of your neck or parts of the upper body during a moment of passion.
Unfortunately, not everyone else sees it the same way...
Hence, over the last two decades, as a counselor to teenager and young adults the world over, one of the most common questions that I've received inside my contact forms is "How to get rid of a Hickey?".
This extensively researched post on the 32 ways to get rid of a hickey should help you get rid of yours safely, cheaply, quickly and properly...
1. The first thing you should try and do is to apply ice on the hickey. Just take a few ice cubes, wrap it in a hand towel and rub it over the area which is affected by the hickey. Do this for 15 minutes only. If ice isn't available then use the other ways outlined in this article.
2. Massage the hickey away with a toothbrush, hairbrush or comb. The bristles on these 3 items works a lot better than simply massaging the hickey with your fingers.
3. Rub a cream that contains a lot of Vitamin K inside it over the hickey 4 to 6 times in a day. Vitamin K tends to break down the blood clotted up inside the hickey so that the marks just disappear.
4. Make a paste out of 2 teaspoons Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and little warm water. Apply this warm paste onto the hickey and leave it there for 20 minutes before you wash it off with cold water. This one worked well for a few of my teen clients.
5. If you are at home when you get the hickey, quickly rub some rubbing alcohol onto the bitten area. This reduces the chances of clotting by a large extent.
6. A turmeric paste is an excellent home remedy for treating hickeys. Just add little warm water to 2 teaspoons of Turmeric Powder. Mix this into a thick paste and apply it over your hickey. Leave it for 30 minutes before washing it off well with warm water. Do this treatment 4 times a day.
7. Apply Arnica Salve onto the love bite. This helps in reducing the swelling in that specific area.
8. Rub the flat or negative end of an alkaline battery over the hickey. This method works both as a warm compress and a ferocious massage. Both help in healing the bruise faster.
9. Use the cap of your ballpoint pen or lipstick to apply constant pressure on the love bite and work the blood deeper into the skin.
10. Spray perfume, cologne water or deodorant over the marked area. Just leave it on there for 10 minutes. Then wash the area with warm water.
11. Apply cocoa butter on the wounded area. It helps to heal it quickly.
12. Apply a hot water compress on the marked area for few minutes at a time. A simple towel dipped in hot water will do. This remedy usually reduces the severity of the wound within a day.
13. Drink 4 glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice. It is rich in Vitamin C which aids in the quick healing of your love bite.
14. Eat foods containing Vitamin P (lemons, green peppers, and broccoli) on the day you receive the hickey and on the days after you get it. These foods help protect the capillaries thus preventing them from bleeding. This reduces the chances of getting a hickey to a large degree.
15. Banana skin is yet another easy home remedy to get rid of a hickey. Just rub the inner side of the skin onto the marked area to help treat it faster.
16. Place freshly cut tomato slices on top of your hickey. You can hold them over the marked area by applying gentle pressure with your hands.
17. Spray or rub Rose Water on the bitten area a few times during the day. It helps heal it a lot faster.
18. Apply talcum powder over the bite several times a day. It's a natural and soothing way to cure it quickly.
19. Keep a set of 6 spoons inside a glass of water in the freezer. And a hairbrush in hot water in another glass. When the water is about to turn to ice, take out the glass with the spoons, then remove one spoon and rub it on the hickey for a minute, then take the hairbrush out of the hot water and rub it over the hickey. Repeat the process of using the cold spoon and the hot hairbrush until all 6 spoons have been used.
20. Take a common aspirin from the local pharmacy. If possible consult your doctor before doing this. The aspirin serves to keep blood platelets from adhering and eases the flow of subcutaneous blood.
21. Let the blood marks be reabsorbed by your body by rubbing the thin side of a metallic coin over the bitten area. You will need to rub the coin really hard over the bruise for this method to be effective.
22. Go where the sun is shining brightly. Place a magnifying glass over the hickey so that the rays of sun turn into one over it. Let the skin roast for a minute under the sun. Go inside and wash off the burn with cold water. This method worked for a girl who called it a Miracle Cure for Hickeys. Though I am not sure if it will work for everyone.
23. If you can bear the pain, scratch off the top layer of skin over the bite, then rub it with rubbing alcohol or an astringent. This is the quickest way to tackle a love bite. But a painful one for sure.
24. Drink carrot juice. The Vitamins inside the common carrot helps in healing the hickey a lot faster.
25. Apply peppermint oil on the affected area. Or if you don't have any peppermint oil then apply calamine lotion on it.
26. Eat more fruits and dark leafy veggies on the two days after you receive the hickey gift. Healthy foods help to heal such minor wounds quickly.
27. Massage your hickey as soon as you get it. Use your hands and rub it vigorously so that the blood does not clot over there.
28. Massage your hickey with your toothpaste. And use your toothbrush to massage it, not your hands, it has proven to be more effective when a toothbrush was used instead of our fingers.
29. Another home remedy that works like magic is the application of banana paste onto the bite. Just mash up a couple of bananas and then apply the paste onto the hickey. Leave it for 20 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
30. Aloe Vera gel works like magic. It is my personal favorite. Just spread and massage some Aloe Vera gel (the gel that's inside the tough leaf of the plant) onto your love bite. Do this for 5 minutes at a time and 4 times a day. You can purchase a basic Aloe Vera gel from the supermarket if you don't have one at home.
31. Apply a hot tea bag on the hickey. Lift it up and dab it on the marked area again and again until the tea bag is cold. Repeat the process by making the tea bag hot once again.
32. Apply a Band-Aid on it and sleep it off. Rest is important. Get lots of sleep in the period after you get a hickey. The Band-Aid is a great way to heal the love bite quickly.
In the past, I owned an entire website (Iodise.com) which was ranked Number 1 for the keywords "how to get rid of a hickey" and "ways to get rid of a hickey".
That micro site helped over 2 Million teens and young adults get rid of their love bites during the site's 8-year period online.
I sold the site's content to a competing webmaster for a small sum of money hence decided to redo the article and create another one which would be more current and include some of the home remedies my clients sent me as effective ones to treat their hickeys.
To conclude this highly useful article, let me say that getting or giving hickeys is not a sin. It's just an innocent way of showing one's love for another.
There is no need to be ashamed of getting a hickey. Neither a reason to stop your lover from giving you one.
Just use some of these 32 ways to get rid of a hickey provided inside this post and use them to allow the love bite to heal a lot more quickly.
All the best.
Audio Book Creator. Life Coach. Soft Skills Trainer. Counselor.
Meditation Practitioner. Food Technologist. Frugal Marketer.
More Health Tips
More Posts To Read
20 Life Messages To Keep In Mind
32 Reasons I Eat Tomatoes Daily And You Should Too
The Most Precious Birthday Gift I Have Received
20 Things You Can Do To Make Life Better
467 Sad Songs That Will Make You Cry
How We Enjoyed A Family Vacation To Goa For 10 Days In Just 18000 Rupees
90 Most Common Signs Of Pregnancy In Women
32 Easy Ways To Get Rid Of A Hickey At Home
Happy Meditation Day To You
22 Nice Little Ways To Live Better